Beach Cleanup

Beach Cleanup
We filled 10 large trashbags with bottles and other miscellaneous objects that had washed up on shore

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 4: January 14, 2012 - Snorkeling Adventures and Beach Cleanup!

Lindsey: This morning was very exciting as we ventured into the sea to go snorkeling.  Sebastian was right - it is better down where it’s wetter.  It was the first snorkeling experience for many of our participants’, but they were troopers and fought through the choppy waves.  Considering how calm the ocean was yesterday, we were surprised to see how high the surf was today.  Our community partner from the Bahamas National Trust, Tavares, took us out on his boat and dropped off us over several areas of the reef.  Andros is surrounded by the third largest barrier reef in the world so I was excited to have the opportunity to snorkel in the area.  We saw a lot of blue tangs, parrot fish, Nassau grouper, and some butterfly fish, pipe fish, and angel fish.  None of the fish were overly big, but they were plentiful!  Even though it was a little chilly, it was still a great snorkeling experience and I’m glad we were able to add it into our agenda for this year’s trip.

Melinda: After the amazing snorkeling trip, we decided to go back to the beach we went to yesterday and clean up some trash. It was odd how the previous day, almost nobody from our group saw any of the trash on the beach; we all concentrated on the beautiful parts like the green and blue water, warm sun, and sandy areas. When we returned, I was astounded at how much trash accumulated, including large and unexpected containers of motor oil or construction hats. When we finished, I felt like the beach looked so much nicer and was somewhat proud of what we had accomplished. However, an overwhelming feeling came over me when I saw the things that we were unable to pick up. I am looking forward to the next couple of service days we have left so I can feel like we made more of a difference while on Andros.

Jennifer: Today was very exciting and eventful. In the morning we headed out to go snorkeling. It was my first time snorkeling so I was a bit nervous, and the big choppy waves didn’t help. My fear went away as soon as I got in the water though and I was ecstatic to be swimming around with the fish. I got to see tons of different kinds of fish and coral, which was really cool and a great learning experience. After snorkeling we went to clean up a beach we had been at previously. The first time we had been there I didn’t notice much trash and was too busy enjoying the beautiful, clear water and scenery to realize that tons of junk littered the beach. Although we could not even hope to clean up every piece of trash along the entire beach, I was happy that we could at least clean up what we could. It also made me consider our system of cleaning up the environment. Who should be cleaning these places up? Should it be paid or volunteer work? Where does all this trash come from?

No comments:

Post a Comment