Beach Cleanup

Beach Cleanup
We filled 10 large trashbags with bottles and other miscellaneous objects that had washed up on shore

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 6: January 16, 2012 - Beginning service with Bahamas National Trust!

Melinda: Today, we finally got to our service project! Woohoo! After waiting anxiously for days, we finally got down and dirty—literally. We drove to the ‘to-be’ campsite and my group started hacking at shrubs and plants with machetes! I felt badass. Our goal was to clear a path for a trail of boulders and rocks in order to have controlled forest fires. After I hacked at the dreaded poison wood for what felt like hours (probably really only 20-30 minutes), I could already feel my arm tightening-up. Within my group, we also switched jobs. Some people were “diggers”, aka people who dug up the rocks; some people were part of the “rock chain”, people who transferred rocks from the diggers to the wheel barrows; along with some other un-named jobs. The overall project called for much more manual labor than I expected, but playing games while working helped passed the time. I’m a little nervous for tomorrow because I know I will be so sore, but what doesn’t kill me makes me stronger. I just hope that somehow, magically, I will be immune to the poison wood; Not a good look for the first day of spring semester. -___-

No comments:

Post a Comment