Beach Cleanup

Beach Cleanup
We filled 10 large trashbags with bottles and other miscellaneous objects that had washed up on shore

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 7: January 17, 2012 - Big Rocks Good, Little Rocks Bad

Melody: I had my first hot shower since Nassau today and it was fantastic. Service today was intense and longer than usual. It mostly consisted of heaving limestone and cementing the rocks into a wall. It felt great to be able to see our progress as the layers of wall slowly went up. At that point, most of us pretty much surrendered to the poisonwood. I can only hope that none of it got on my face.

I think one of my favorite parts of this trip is the isolation. It’s rather refreshing going a week without cell phones or internet access. It’s amazing how much free time we have without them. With all the manual labor we’re doing for service, I’m ready for bed by 9PM. While it’ll be really satisfying to finish the wall, there’s still a lot of work to do. Can’t wait for blue hole day!

Emily: I’m pretty sure I never want to lift another rock in my life after this trip. Day two of service today consisted of 7 grueling hours of lifting and digging rocks, mixing cement, and building our fire wall. I’m pretty sure we worked harder than any prisoners moving rocks. The brightside of today’s service was knowing that I’ll be back to PT next week with issue thanks to all this heavy lifting. The most exciting part of today was after we went grocery shopping and seeing the surprises of mini-vanilla wafers, frozen garlic bread, Bahamian goobay punch, and bagels. These treats were definitely a morale boost after such a tough and long day.

Javier: Today was round two of service! It was exhausting because we, unintentionally, received over an hour break. It was so difficult to get back into exerting effort. Bah. Thankfully, we finished today’s task and tomorrow (Wednesday) will be interesting. Dinner was swell. Garlic food was delicious! Nom nom nom. I feel itchy spots on my neck and right leg. I know my fate once we return to the U.S.

Danielle:  Being here reminds me of visiting my family in the country. The locals are so hospitable and welcoming. Everyone waves hello and honks when you pass by.  I look forward to learning more about ecotourism and tasting Conch fish tomorrow. I have learned so much about how Bahamians perceive the environment, and I really hope that the campsite we are building encourages natives to learn more about how to live sustainably.

Melinda: My arms are tired. Rocks rocks rocks…….. so many rocks.

Kira: So much sunburn.

Morgan: Lesson learned – big rocks good. Little rocks bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment